Search This Blog
Monday, 3 December 2012
Uday's Cucumber Kayras
Most of us use cucumber in salads but this is a delicious side dish with it. This recipe is contributed by Uday who is not just a great cook but also an expert in "spouse management". It was so delicious that I forgot I was supposed to eat it with rice or roti and before I new it was finished.
Cucumber-1, chopped fine
Mustard- 2 tsp, ground
Roasted peanuts- 4-5 tsp ground coarsely
Tamarind paste/chutney-1-2 tsp
Green chillies-3, slit
Coriander leaves-for garnishing
Seasoning- 1tsp Mustard seeds, oil, a pinch of turmeric, a pinch of asafoetida
1. Peel cucumber and then chop it really fine. It should still have tiny pieces, so please do not mash it.
2. To this add ground mustard, ground roasted peanut powder
3. Put some sugar and salt in it and mix it a few times.
4. Add one levelled teaspoonful(or more according to the taste) of readymade tamarind pulp. If one is going to extract pulp from tamarind, I would suggest that one adds 3 teaspoonfuls of it.
5. Stir well again. You may need to add a bit more of sugar and salt.
6. Heat 4 teaspoonfuls of oil and once hot, add mustard seeds, green chillis, asafoetida and turmeric. When it splutters, Add this to the cucumber.
7. Add finely chopped coriander.