Sunday, 29 July 2012
I just came back from a week in Majorca and indulgence in Spanish buffet. I was craving for some desi food , which was low in calories and did not require me to go shopping for ingredients. Phulka and Lauki with chana daal, it could not get wholesome than this. The recipe is inspired by Onelifetoeat and I had made it before with fresh doodhi. This time I made with frozen packet of lauki and canned tomatoes just to save time and effort.
Lauki/Dudhi-1, skinned and chopped or 1 packet of frozen bottle gourd
Tomato-2, chopped or half can
Spices-2 tsp coriander powder, 2tsp cumin powder, 1 tsp chilli powder, 1/4tsp turmeric powder
Chana dal- 2 handful , soaked for 30 min (optional)
Tomato ketchup-3 tbsp
1. Pressure cook the chana dal in water and salt for upto 4 whistle.
2. While the dal is cooking, you could assemble the other ingredients.
3. In little oil add the chopped onion and saute till it turns pink and soft.
4. Now add 1 tbsp ginger-garlic paste and stir for a min. Add the chopped tomatoes and cook till it turns pulpy.
5. Add all the spices and mix for a minute. Add half cup of water and let it boil , about 5 min. Add the chopped lauki/doodhi and mix. I added the water drained from chana dal too and let it all cook for about 10 min on simmer.
6. Next add the cooked chana dal and let it all cook for further 10 min on simmer till you get the desired consitency.
7. Lastly add the ketchup which will add a tang to the curry and garnish with coriander leaves.
TIP: If lauki/bottle gourd is hard to find especially outside India you could make the same with zucchini.