Tuesday, 31 July 2012
This is a family favourite made by mom especially when she makes Dhebra , to go with it. The flavour is mainly from the fresh garlic, greenchilli and methi leaves. The spices are entirely optional and can be used if the green chillis are not hot enough. I used frozen methi leaves which cuts down the preparation time.
Potato-4 large, chopped small (reduces the cooking time)
Methi leaves/Fenugreek-1 bunch fresh or 3 cubes of frozen
Garlic cloves-4 large cloves or more
Spices- a pinch asafoetida, 1/4 tsp turmeric, half tsp chilli powder, half tsp coriander powder(optional)
1. First coarsely crush the garlic and green chillis in a pestle and mortar.
2. Chop the potatoes in small pieces and chop fresh methi. If using frozen methi then microwave it for 2-3 min.
3. In a wok, take some oil, add a pinch of asafoetida and turmeric. When it sizzles add the garlic and green chillis.
4.When it starts browning add the potatoes.Add salt and mix . Cover and cook on simmer for about 10 min.
5. When the potatoes start browning at the edges and are nearly cooked, add the chilli powder and coriander powder, if using.
6. Add the chopped fenugreek leaves now and mix. Let it cook uncovered for about 15 min stirring intermittently. When it turns slightly crispy at the end of 15 min , turn it off and serve it with phulka or roti or dhebra.
This will serve about 4 persons