Search This Blog
Thursday, 1 March 2012
This is a very common breakfast in South India and its eaten with a variety of accompaniments ranging from ghee,sugar ,banana, sweet upma(chow-chow bhat) to sambaar. Either way its is fairly easy to make and becomes a quick weekend breakfast. The leftovers make a good croquet but thats for another day.
Ginger-1" chopped fine
Tadka-oil, 1 tsp mustard seeds,1 tsp urad dal,1 tsp chana dal. cumin seed1 tsp(optional)
Veggies-peas,tomato,carrot,beans etc (optional)
coconut- grated- for garnishing
1. Fry the rava lightly in ghee or oil about 2 tsp till raw smell goes and keep it aside.
2.In a wok, add oil and the tadka ingredients and when it splutters add onion ,ginger and green chilli.
3.When onion turns pink , you can add the veggies, (if adding,) saute for few min.
4.Now add 2 cups of water and salt. Check the salt in water. Bring to boil.
5. When it starts boiling, add the rava while constantly stirring with the other hand so that no lumps are formed.
6. Within few minutes it will absorb all the water and swells up in volume.
7. Switch off, garnish it with fresh grated coconut and ghee (optional)
8. Serve with the accompaniment of your choice.