Thursday, 1 March 2012
This is my one of the favourite street food and no matter what it will never taste like the one you get in the streets, substitution of oil instead of butter could partly explain it. I have come across a lot variations in the use of vegetables but I think the key ingredients are potatoes and tomatoes. Rest of veggies are secondary. This is my simple way of making it.
mixed veg-1 cup
Onion-1 large,chopped fine
ginger garlic paste-2tsp
Spices- 1 tsp chilli powder,1/4 tsp turmeric powder,1/2 tsp garam masala.4 tsp pav bhaaji masala
For PAV- Pav/dinner rolls, butter
1. Pressure cook the veg ,potatoes,cabbage with turmeric and 1 cup water.
2. In the meantime, in oil add the onions, sautee till soft then giger garlic paste,saute till brown.
3. Add the spices then the tomatoes and salt. Cook till it all pulpy ,mashing the tomatoes.
4.Add the cooked vegetables and simmer for 15 min . Add a blob of butter.
5. For pav, add some butter, sprinkle a pinch of pav bhaji masala and split the pav slightly toast it,
6. Serve bhaji sprinkled with chopped onions, coriander leaves and a squeeze of lemon along with pav.