Wednesday, 29 February 2012
Potato -Brinjal curry
My mom-in-law used to make brinjal curry for biryanis but since most of the members are potato-eaters in the family, I started adding potaoes which made it more appealing for all. I also made some modifications to the original recipe to make it suitable for rice and chappathi. Brinjal is my favourite in any form!
Brinjal - 4 small /1 large
Potatoes-2 large, chopped
Onion-1 large,finely chopped
gingergarlic paste-1 tsp
Spices-2 tsp coriander powder,1 tsp chilli powder, 1/4 tsp turmeric,1/2 tsp garam masala
To be ground-1/4 coconut, 1tsp poppy seeds, peanuts 1tbsp (can use dessicated coconut/Cashew too!)
Tamarind extract-1 tbsp
1.Slit the small brinjal in criss cross or chop large brinjal chunkily. Fry them in oil till it starts browning. In the same oil ,fry the potatoes still it start browning. Keep them aside.
2. In the same oil, add the cinnamon stick,chopped onion and green chillis. Sautee till brown.
3. Add ginger garlic paste, sautee till brown the add the spices, stir for a minute.
4. Add the tomatoes and salt and cook till it turns pulpy and leaves oil.
5. Now add the ground paste, mix for 3-4 min, adjust salt. Add tamarind extract.
6. If its too thick then add water to get the desired consistency.
7. Now add the potaoes and brinjal and let it boil and simmer for 10 min.
8. Garnish with coriander leaves.
9. Serve it with pulao or chappathi