I had several packets of tortilla left after a Mexican themed birthday party. This is originally a Sri lankan/Tamilnadu dish and a popular street food there. The best thing about this is there are no rules to what vegetables or spices or curry you want to add. You can adapt it to suit your palate and tastes great anyway! This is my version with ingredients that I wanted to use. Its the best recipe to use leftover chapatthi /tortilla/kerala parotta and leftover curries or readymade spices.
Tortilla-6, ripped in tiny pieces
Curry leaves- few(optional)
Ginger-garlic paste- 2tsp
Spices- 1/4 tsp turmeric, 1tsp chilli powder, 1tbsp meat masala/pav bhaji masala/chicken masala
Tomato-2,chopped . I used 1 cup salsa instead
Eggs-2 or 3
Leftover Chicken curry or vegetable curry- 2 tbsp (optional)
Coriander leaves-For garnishing
1. First rip or cut the tortilla/chappathi /parotta into tiny pieces and keep it aside.
2. In a tbsp of oil add the cumin seeds and when they splutter add the curry leaves.
3. Next add the onions and greenchilli and saute untill it turns translucent or slightly brown.
4. Add the ginger-garlic paste and fry till the raw smell goes. Next add the spices, I used melam meat masala but you could use anything you desire or even just a tsp of garam masala.
5. I had an opened jar of salsa so I used that or this is when you add tomatoes and mix till it turns all pulpy.
6. Add the tortilla pieces now and mix till its well coated with the mixture.
8. This step is optional but it only adds more flavour and texture to it and makes it moist. You could add leftover chicken currry or vegetable curry or any gravy that you like and give it a good stir. Season with salt if needed.
Garnish with coriander leaves and serve hot.
Post a Comment