Erisseri is vital for a Onam Sadya meal and it could be made with yam and raw banana too but the preparation is slightly different. For me erisser must have a the flavour of roasted coconut. I usually make Mor curry with one half of a small pumpkin and erisseri with the other half. My friend, Renu showed me this method and I have stuck to it .
Pumpkin/ butternut squash- 2 cups, chopped
whole green gram/ red oriental bean-half cup
Salt, a pinch of turmeric
To be ground- half cup grated coconut, 3 green chillies, 1tsp cumin seeds. 2 cloves garlic, 2-3 sambaar onion
Seasoning- little oil. 1 tsp mustard seeds, few curry leaves. 4 whole red chillies, half cup dessicated coconut
1. First soak the green gram /red payar while assembling the other ingredients.
2. Pressure cook the green gram and pumpkin together with salt and a pinch of turmeric in 1 cup water for upto 2-3 whistle.
3. While that is cooking you could grind the ingredients to be ground and keep them aside.
4. Mash the pumpkin and put in a saucepan. Add the ground coconut mixture and let it cook on low for 10 min. Adjust the salt.
5. In 3 tsp oil, add mustard seeds, curry leaves and whole red chillies, when it splutters add the dessicaated coconut and fry till it turns brown. Add this to the pumpkin-coconut in step 4. Mix and turn the heat off.
Some prefer a pouring consistency, I pefer a thicker consistency to be served as a side along with rice and sambaar
Tip: You could use coconut oil for authentic taste.
Post a Comment