Search This Blog
Sunday 1 July 2012
My friend, Mamta makes the best poha(beaten rice) in the world in the typical gujju style. Her attention to detail is key like she would not let poha get dry or rather makes sure that remains moist through out. She cuts the potatoes in small cubes and adjust the salt and sugar till its perfect!
Potatoes- 1, large chopped in cubes
Onion-half, chopped (optional)
Green chillis-2, chopped
Salt and a pinch of turmeric
Seasoning- oil, 1 tsp mustard seeds, few curry leaves
For Garnishing- coriander leaves, lemon juice from 1 lemon
1. Chop the onion, chillis and potatoes.
2.Wash and drain the poha in a colander. Add salt and turmeric to it and keep it aside for 5-10 min, so that its soft. If it appears dry then sprinkle water to keep it moist.
3. In littleoil, add mustard seeds and curry leaves. When it splutter add onions and green chillis.
4. When onion turns soft and pink, add the potatoes and salt. Mix and cover till it is cooked.
5. Once the potatoes are done, add the soft poha and mix for a min. Adjust salt and add sugar. Make sure it does not get dry since it does not need to be cooked. Turn off the heat.
6. Garnish with coriander leaves and lemon juice to taste.